Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Review: THE BLUE VIKING by Sandra Hill


2011 cover
Viking I,  #5
Historical (Viking)
Avon, an imprint of Harper Collins
349Pages



Five years ago, Rurik left Maire without any thought or consideration, heck the jerk outright laughed at her when she asked him to take her with. But Maire had the last laugh, when she cursed him with a bold blue bolt streaking down his face. 
 
Rurik has searched for the elusive witch since then, finally stumbling upon her. Having her right were he wanted, he was determined to make Maire remove the bolt, no matter how long it took him to convince her. As a matter of fact, he figured he could enjoy the benefits of having her in his seductive hands again.
*****

One thing I can always count on when reading any of Sandra Hill's books is a good laugh. Ms. Hill's hero's are characteristically arrogant, Alpha males and Rurik was no exception. While Maire was portrayed as a strong independent woman in the beginning of the story, her wants were quickly diminished under Rurik's will, which weakened her as a character. I could find the humor of her being the worst witch ever, with her spells continuously going awry, but her mistakes were so over-the-top, which after a while made her appear silly. It upset me that she was demeaned so. I was also a little put off by everyone's sexual freedom in this book, I'm not an expert on historical morals and I'm no prude, but it seemed odd to me, and it took me out of the story. 
 
While this wasn't my favorite Sandra Hill tale, it still was a decent read, and I will continue to read and reread her books. She is my go to author when I'm looking for a funny historical...and I love her Vikings. I wish there were more Viking tales being published.
Original cover



Rating: 3.5/ 5

No comments:

Post a Comment