Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Review:THE SECRET DESIRES OF A GOVERNESS by Tiffany Clare

The Secret Desires of a GovernessThe Secret Desires of a Governess
Historical Romance (Victorian, 1848)
St. Martins Press
352 Pages

Deciding it was time to strike out on her own, Abby Hallaway applies for a governess position as far away from home as possible. Not having any desire to marry, she figures that this should give her time to reach the age to accept her inheritance without being persuaded to marry.

Elliot Taylor Wright, the Earl of Brendall wasn't expecting the plucky young governess, but once he met his new employee, it's hard for him to think of anything else. He can't overcome the secrets of his past, nor can he chance anyone ever finding out.

*****

I really had a hard time getting into Elliot and Abby's story, it just seemed to move so slowly. Neither of the characters stood out in the sense that I ever really felt like I got to know them. I wanted to like them more, but Abby came off as a bit of a twit, taking off on her own to be a governess with no experience with kids or as a teacher herself was a bit too idealistic, especially since there really was no reason for her to run away from her family.   Elliot and his son Jacob had a big secret, but it was drug out so long that I became irritated.  I wish it had been revealed earlier, but with Abby having no experience I'm not sure what kind of reassurance she could have offered them.

THE SECRET DESIRES OF A GOVERNESS is one of those books with a very Gothic feel to it, especially Elliot's relationship with the village and his history with his deceased wife, but it really didn't deliver in the hauntingly mysterious department. I wish the village had played a more prominent part, but it came off more as a glancing plot device that was barely touched upon. At least the mystery was resolved, and while there were some very sinister events, I just wasn't feeling it. I think that because the story moved so slowly for me, it lost the whole Gothic effect, and just kind of bored me.


Rating: 3 / 5



No comments:

Post a Comment