Friday, February 19, 2010

Could You Read...

a romance with one of the main characters being named Dangerous Dan and another is named Raging Thunder?  OMG I saw these names and couldn't stop the giggling! I know that I COULD NOT read this, I would giggle every time I read their names, it would totally throw me out of the story.  To top it off, when I see Dangerous Dan, my brain changes it to DASTARDLY Dan.

The only way I COULD read something with such bad names is if this was a Mel Brooks style spoof, ala BLAZING SADDLES...then it might be a good funny read, but not a romance. 

Maybe it's just me, but an author's choice of names for the h/H can alter my view of a book, and a bad name can ruin a romance book for me.  I read one book where the hero's name was Milton, it just didn't work for me.  Other names of romance h/H (when they have NO nickname, and only go by "this" name) that could take me out of the story, and cause a serious fit of the giggles:
Herbert, Kirby, Bertha, Beuhla, Edna, Ethel
Sure, there's more that wouldn't work, but I don't have time to list them.  Also I get sick names like Tucker and Austin, but they don't disturb me to the point that I giggle.

What name would take you out of a romance?

No comments:

Post a Comment