Friday, April 19, 2013

Guest Post: author Kary Rader and what inspired her to write Queen of Jastain

I'm pleased to welcome Kary Rader, author of Queen of Jastain to Rambling Reads today.  Kary, thank you so much for joining us and sharing what inspired you to write your new book. By the way your cover is GORGEOUS!



Aemelia, thank you so much for having me today.



I have a new release from Crescent Moon Press.  Queen of Jastain, is an Epic Fantasy Romance I began writing over two years ago. This story is so close to my heart and I’m all gooey and giddy inside to share it. You can find out more about the individual characters HERE on my website which also includes a map of the world.


My inspiration for Queen of Jastain is a veritable media soup using the Bible story about David and Bathsheeba, and the Lady Gaga song Bad Romance. I know. Crazy, right?



In Queen of Jastain, David and Bathsheba are the antagonists and Uriah, left for dead by those he loves most, is the hero. I wondered what would have happened if Uriah had lived in secret, plotting revenge against the king who stole his bride. And that is how the story formed.

The major themes encompass revenge, love, and ultimate intimacy. Bad Romance encapsulated those themes from the perspective of Abby, the heroine, and provided me with an emotional tone to write toward.



I took quite a bit of time researching names of characters. My hero, Avant’s name comes from the French term avant guarde, which literally means advanced guard/vanguard but as an idiom means innovative or “before his time”. Avant is a commander of armies, and he is the first of his kind in the land of Jastain. Abigail my heroine is named after Abigail, David’s wife from Old Testament Scripture. Abigail was found by David while he was running in the wilderness, and if you read Chapter One of my story you will understand how she gets her name. She actually goes by Abby, but Avant only ever calls her Abigail.




*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*




Kary Rader is a part-time Twitter sage, stay-at-home mother of three, and slave to the characters and worlds inside her head. Always creative, she's drawn to stories with fantastical worlds and creatures. With a little bit of magic and divine guidance, there isn't anything that can't be accomplished with words. It's the power of words that creates and destroys. Vanquishing evil and injustice while finding eternal love in the process is all in a day's work. With the help of her critique partners and master cartographer imaginary places come to life.



You can find her at:





3 comments:

  1. Thank you so much for hosting me today! It was a pleasure sharing with you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much for stopping by today! I can't wait to read QUEEN OF JASTAIN

    ReplyDelete
  3. Peeps you need to the incredible map that was created for the story. Run, don't walk to see it.

    Congratulations lady!

    Marika

    ReplyDelete