Tuesday, August 27, 2013

Review of THE DIVORCE PARTY by Jennifer Hayward




THE DIVORCE PARTY

“You threw your fifty-thousand-dollar engagement ring off the Brooklyn Bridge?”


Lilly shows up to her lavish divorce party with one goal in mind—to leave as quickly as possible minus a husband! Except he has other plans…and Riccardo De Campo isn’t easy to say “no” to.

Forced back into Riccardo’s glittering, gossip-fueled world, the price of perfection is still too high and Lilly’s old insecurities resurface. An unexpected consequence of their reunion raises the stakes even higher, and the media’s golden couple must finally confront the truth behind the headlines.

*****

THE DIVORCE PARTY's  storyline and writing wasn't bad and I'm a complete sucker for the over-the-top Harlequin Presents plots that I can fit into a quick evening read. Unfortunately though, I found it incredibly hard to like Lilly and Riccardo, these are two of the most selfish characters that I've ever read. I guess in that aspect they are perfect for each other.

The idea of THE DIVORCE PARTY had a lot of merit--I could see this being a good twist of a theme that has been tackled before--and I usually like the uber-Alpha heroes and the heroines that struggle to find independence and not be totally overtaken by these guys. BUT on that note, it was Lilly and Riccardo's selfishness that I couldn't connect with. Each of them were so wrapped up in themselves and their own problems it's no wonder their marriage was failing. Both Lilly and Riccardo expected the other to read their mind, I found myself rolling my eyes at their misunderstandings instead of feeling sympathy for one or the other.

Because I was so miffed at their character flaws, I found it difficult to focus on the other aspects of the story. Such as, how they were going to recreate their marriage, forgive each other, and find their HEA. I know they found it at the end of the story, but I felt kind of meh about it all.


No comments:

Post a Comment