Tuesday, August 18, 2015

Review of BREAKOUT: The DRED Chronicles #3 by Ann Aguirre

Breakout is the non-stop, action-packed conclusion of Ann Aguirre's Dred Chronicles, picking up directly where Havoc ends.  
The prison ship, Perdition is now more of a ghost ship, as most of the inmates, uh...inhabitants...are dead.  Danger still lurks in every corner, supplies are running low while Dred and her surviving crew have teamed up with the 3 remaining mercs, eluding Silence and her henchmen, trying to build a way off Perdition which is now a guaranteed death trap.

As much as I hated to see this series come to a close, I have to say that Ms. Aguirre did a fantastic job bringing this story to a supremely satisfactory conclusion.
  
When I saw Breakout posted on Netgalley for reviewers I immediately requested it, and as soon as it was approved I started reading it, only putting it down when I ABSOLUTELY had to, staying up until after 2am on a work night to finish this book. I just couldn't step away! I'm kinda sad that I read it so quickly, because I loved the story and these characters so much, and I know that unless Ms. Aguirre writes more books in this universe, that finishing this story was saying goodbye to characters that I've grown attached to.

I could give you a play-by-play of my thoughts for the entire book, but if you're as immersed into this series as I was, I know that you'll want to get there and make your own judgements. So I won't bother.  I will say though, that there was one extremely emotional part that had me saying WTF really loudly, not because it was unbelievable, but because I didn't know how Ms. Aguirre was going to turn things around...thankfully she did.
Dred continues on with her kick-ass self, I can't tell you how much I love a heroine that can take care of herself and others around her with out wimping out...yet you can feel her compassion and see how much she appreciates it when someone else takes care of her...mainly Jael, whom I can't even begin to describe my love for his character.  I loved seeing him turned into someone who not only cared for those around him, but how also learned how good it felt to have true friends, and to want to care for others. Striving to make others lives easier, not just his own.

Have I mentioned that I hope Ms. Aguirre visits this universe again?!?!? 







No comments:

Post a Comment