Thursday, July 14, 2011

REVIEW: TOUCH IF YOU DARE by Stephanie Rowe

Soulfire #2
Paranormal / Humor
Sourcebooks Casablanca


Reina Knight is trying to become a full-fledged Reaper, but she seems to be having a wee bit of a problem, mostly because she's to compassionate. She needs to harden up, because if she can't reap souls, she loses her chance of saving her sister.

Jarvis Swain, the Lord of Hate, needs to save his brother, the Lord of Love. But can't do it without Reina's help. She seems to sooth the animosity he projects.

Together they will fight to prevent their siblings demises, but can they succeed?


*****
Stephanie Rowe has a wonderfully creative talent in her writing, which draws me into her hysterically funny mythical world. While I'll admit that TOUCH IF YOU DARE started out pretty slow for me—mainly because I had get into a more humorous mindset-- once it started rolling I found it difficult to put down.

Jarvis and Reina both have their share of silly slap-stick moments, but Ms. Rowe kept the book from getting cheesy by throwing in some very intense emotional moments. I couldn't help but root for Jarvis and Reina, as they fought for their siblings and each other. Jarvis really had a low opinion of his self-value, I liked how Reina continued to show him that he wasn't all hatred, and even that sometimes there were good reasons to feel such a passionate emotion. I know that sounds off, but trust me, when you read the book, you will understand (I hope).

I loved seeing all the side characters that were first introduced in KISS AT YOUR OWN RISK, they are definitely a lively crew. I also liked that the characters aren't really what you would normally expect. I'm looking forward to seeing everyone again in the next installment of the Soulfire series.

As a side note, even though this is the second book of a series it can be read as a stand alone.


Rating 4

No comments:

Post a Comment