Thursday, January 5, 2012

Review: SLADE by Sarah McCarty


The Shadow Wranglers #4
Paranormal (Vampire/Weres)
Berkley Sensation



As the tech guru of the Renegades, Slade Johnson is the genius behind most of their weapons against the Sanctuary. But with all his knowledge there is one thing that escapes him, how to cure his nephew's illness and save his life.
Scientist Jane Frederickson has made a remarkable breakthrough in her genetic studies. But what she discovers could be used to cure world hunger, or destroy humanity.
Can Slade and Jane keep her research out of the Sanctuary's hands? Is she the answer to Slade and his family's prayers?


*****

This was one of those stories that I enjoyed most of, but there were some aspects that just drove me nuts. I like the Johnson brothers, and their fight against the Sanctuary. I like the kick-ass storyline. I'm a fan of alpha heroes, but I really hate the over-alphaness of some of Sarah McCarty's lead male characters. I also hate how her strong, capable heroines all of a sudden become mealy little wimps, with bursts of stubbornness. I can handle weak characters, but I'm better with it when they start out being weak. Or if they are strong, it's okay to have a weak needy moment, but not to fall under the “oh save me because I just can't save myself” mode.


Jane kind of flip-flopped for me. I understood that she spent most of her life in a lab, so physical strength wasn't her strong point. In the beginning part of the book she tried to be strong, but when they finally made it to the ranch, and when Slade figured out she was his mate, he crossed the line of suddenly not thinking she was capable to make her own decisions. Jane bucked at some of it, but she seemed to cave to most of it. I understand the concept of compromise, but that didn't seem to be the case between Jane and Slade. It became a “what he says goes” kind of relationship...that's I'm not good with. Mostly because she seemed to have a good head on her shoulders, and I felt she should have had more say in the choices that were made for her.

I will read more of Sarah McCarty's books, especially her here historicals...I don't mind the over-alphaness is a time period where women were expected to be strong but meeker (note: there is a difference between being more submissive and being stupid or weak), more followers than leaders. That is one setting that I get annoyed with too modern heroines.



Rating: 3



No comments:

Post a Comment